Sunday, October 10, 2010

Starting is the easy part!

“Winning isn't always finishing first. Sometimes winning is just finishing.”


So it is time ... time to face my "beginnings" and the journey to completion. As I look at my list of unfinished projects, I see that the journey to completion is one less traveled. "Unfinished" is a rare place for me. I am a chronic creator who longs to see the final product when it comes to my personal and professional life. As a "creative soul" a professional career in Public Relations and Marketing is wonderful. I can be creative, I am calm, caculated and methodic as I strive to see whatever project I am deeply engrossed in come to live and eventual completion. My collection of teacups and saucers as well as family glass and china heirlooms are carefully catologed as to the nature of when, why and whom gave them to me.

However, when it come to craft project ... cross stitch, sewing, quilting or scrapbooking ... I am totally out of control. They are my kryptonite ... the Mr. Hyde to my Dr. Jekyl. I am a chronic starter. I see something that catches my eye and it consumes me until I start it. I am axious to see it through, imagining how and where it will be desplayed, but then some other "shiny object" catches my attention and I am like a kitten with a ball of yarn.

So here and today, I have vowed to compile a list of my WIPs and set goals to completion. I can't promise that I won't start another project, but I will try to adhere to for every one start, I must match with two finishes. Now that the terms have been set, let's see what the damage is:

Project List 2010
To Be Completed:

Sewing:
Pink and Blue Baby Blanket
Pink and Blue Doll Quilt
Freedom Wallhanging
Purple Quilt Block (ornament for Rita)
Christmas Wreath Pillow
Blue and Gold Heart Quilt
Jamie’s Quilt
Blue and Chocolate floor quilt

Cross Stitch:
Jamie’s Christmas Stocking
Army Seal
Daisy Tablecloth
Rose Quilt Blocks
God Bless Me Pillow
God Bless Me Blanket
Lindsey Stained Glass
Easter Bunny and Egg
Roly Poly Santas
12 Small Christmas Ornaments (former SAL)
Watermelon Dish Towel

Scrapbook:
Jamie’s Book: Baby Shower
Jamie’s Book: Birth Day
Jamie’s Book: First Bath
Jamie’s Book: Meeting the Godparents
Jamie’s Book: First Easter
Jamie's Book: First 4th of July
Jamie's Book: Meeting the Family, First Road Trip
Jamie's Book: First Halloween

Wow! When you see it all out there, it makes you want to start crossing things off! Right now I am working on Jamie's Christmas stocking. I've got pictures of some of these projects, and will upload by category in the next week. Maybe a little "oohing and aahing" will help motivate me.

Well, I'm off to get some "stitching" done (see already tackling the list!)

Until our next cup of tea ...



“My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already.”

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Wow! I was reading your post and thought I was reading about myself. I am afraid to make a list. I have gone through and purged some items I have started and know I will not finish and also donated some x=st kits and things, yarn , what have you that I know I will not use. I felt better doing that. I tend to rotate, If I feel like knitting, then I will knit, if I feel like x-st'ing - then I will do that. Still do not have many 'finished' items :) Go forth in your endeavor, I am proud of you !