Saturday, March 15, 2014

A Little Bit of Christmas for St. Paddy's Day ...

Hello Crafty Friends!! Its been  a while since I last posted on here, but I have been super busy with my new job, life as a baseball mom and working on some designs for a friend who has a quilting company .... but more on that later.

I've always found it easier to work on quilts when the weather is cold ... and even here in South Texas, we've had plenty of cold weather. Going with that theme, I want to share a project I had posted on another blog for a Christmas ornament in 2012 (blog has since been on hiatus.) I've had several friends ask me about it in the past few months and recently there were two questions on Pinterest about it as well. So here is the original post ... 

This Week's Project for the Great Mickey Mouse Tree of 2012

I'm going to try to do a set of ornaments a week between Thanksgiving and Christmas ... At least that is the goal. For the most part I know what I want to do, it's just finding that extra hour or two to do them.

Here is this week's project:




There are actually 4 but I am hoping to do more. This past weekend Mom and I went to JoAnn's and the Christmas stuff was on sale 50%-70% off, but they only had 4 of these ornaments in the large size, so as I get extra coupons I'll try to get a few more.

Now this isn't the plan I had at first. Here was the first try ...


But I wasn't happy with the ribbons. There were kind of "blah". Monkey and I went to see my aunt one night and we got to talking about the corkscrew ribbon for bows she was making and it led to the finished ones above. Much better ... I'll try to do a post on the step-by-step instructions to making the corkscrew bows, but if you Google it, you can find a variety of tutorials.

Inside the ornament, I cut out Mickey (or Minnie) shapes out of glittery scrapbook paper with this handy-dandy Disney paper cutter. I think I will add more and fill them almost to the top, but I can add later as I get more cut. It's easy, but so time consuming.



Well here's hoping I get time to do some more projects between now and next Thursday ...

Until our next cup of tea ...

No comments: