Sunday, October 12, 2008

Enjoying a Cup of Tea ...



This is the renewal of my second blog, sadly deleted when I was unable to keep up with it. The first, A Cup of Tea with Friends, is a journal of my life as a military wife ... the good, the bad and the ugly. But no matter how bad it gets I can always escape life in my haven ... my home.

I am first and foremost a teacup collector. My interest started as a child when I would play with my grandmother's silver teaset and pretend I was a Spanish Princess in a faraway land. It is a title that I have continue to hang on to even as an adult to remind myself of those treasured memories. There will be more in my collection later, but let me tell you a little more about me.

I love decorating and re-decorating my home, much to my husband's dismay. To avoid conflict, most of the re-decorating is done when he is deployed, so when he gets home it's done and for the most part he likes it. He's just not a fan of the transitional period.

Before we met, 8 years ago, I was in college and I had dreams of creating a home with richly-colored fabrics, dark wood and elegant furniture and original artwork. Even as a college student I had saved my pennies and slowly began aquiring the furniture and fabrics that I had envisioned. It could also be seen in my photography ... I studied photography as a second major in college and I leaned towards photographing Southern antebellum (pre-war south.) I grew up in the shadow of old Southern plantations and dreamed of recreating that in my own home one day.

However, George liked a more comfy, well-worn furniture, southwestern style feel of things ... hmm ... how do you combine those two ways of life?

After much thought, I settled on my second favorite style, Romantic Cottage. It combines my love of colorful fabrics and textures, with his need for comfort. So as my new goal of creating a home for "us" versus "me" unfolds, I look forward to find inspiration and sharing ideas with others.

Post a Comment