Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Polka Dot Planter How-To



Monday, the MP Battalion where I work held their Volunteer Recognition Ceremony. Each of the four units in the battamed a volunteer of the year, someone who had done an outstanding job over the past year. They each got a special certificate and gift. They were fun to make. Here's how I did it:




Step 1: Chose the pieces you want. I used medium-sized terracotta planters with saucers.




Step 2: Sand them to remove any ridges or rough spots.




Step 3: Let them dry completely. Be sure to flip over so the interior drys as well. I let them dry for more than 24-hours.




Step 4: Paint them. I used 3 coats for the base, letting each dry at least and hour or two before adding the next one. Dependingon the paint you can get creative and drag a dry-brush over the top coat while wet to get striping. After dry, do secondary color. Try sponding a complementing over the top.






Step 5: After the pieces are completely dried, add accessories. I glued ribbon of the complementing color to the rim and then added ribbons.

It is a very easy project, but does take time for the drying. If you want, you can add a clear coat once the paint dries for a shiny look. Later, probably next week, I'll add pictures and instructions for using these pots for other projects.


Until our next cup of tea ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are so cute! I love the polka dot one!

The Teacup Cottage said...

Yes, the polka dots were my favorite too. I came home last Friday and made two for me to go in my kitchen. I'll have to post pics when I finish them.

Unknown said...

Cute idea!

~Liz