Sunday, January 25, 2009

Trying something new

Yesterday my husband and I went to the the "city" to watch the new Underworld movie and stopped at Michael's Craft Store so I could get stuff to re-string the pearl necklaces he'd sent me from Afghanistan.

Now I am not to admit that PEARLS are this girls best friend and the fact that both necklaces broke has had me in all sorts of turmoil, since all that I had left was my set of pink pearls ... what do I wear if I've got red on?

So, there we are. George is off somewhere doing something as he tends to wander and I was immersed among the shiny beads. I'd found some beautiful pink glass beads that match some metal beads that I'd bought when George and I were planning on renewing our vows in May for our 5 year anniversary. I'd also found some antique glass pearl beads that I "just had to have" to make a necklace and bracelet for a wedding I am a bridesmaid for in May.

So once we got home after the movie and dinner, George had fallen asleep while watching TV so I took out the beads and proceeded to start on some pieces.

There I sat at the kitchen table just working away and this is what I accomplished ...





I love the toggle clasps. I don't know why, but they seem to be a favorite. The double heart beads are the ones I'd bought to make a headpiece for our vow renewal. They were just too pretty not to make something with.

Now, I must admit, I'd never done beading before other than maybe putting beads on a cross stitch project, so it was new to me. Here is what I learned ...

1. Beading requires patience
2. Puppies cannot help, no matter how much they think they can.
3. Those suckers are REALLY slippery
4. Never bead on top of carpet, especially if it is the same color as your beads.
5. If your husband tells you that the oil and grime on the needlenose pliers will not get on your beads because it is "all dried" don't believe him ... especially if wearing white pants!
6. Don't bead in silence, because if your husband walks up and startles you, the beads will go EVERYWHERE!

All in all, it was a fun project and I have a few more ideas. Have you done any beading? What tips do you have for a beginner?

Until our next visit ...

1 comment:

CIELO said...

que lindo....

cielo