Saturday, October 4, 2014

Accidental Chef: Smashed Potatoes

Accidents occasionally happen, and sometimes its a happy accident. That doesn't happen too often, but when it does, its a great surprise.

Earlier this week, I was making a pasta meal for dinner and dropped something at the bottom of the pantry. When I bent down to pick it up, I realized the sack of potatoes I'd bought the week before were at the bottom where our extra waters and other drink are kept. I guess my husband had put them there when he was helping put away groceries. (Yep, I'm a lucky girl!)

I knew that with the long list of plans for the rest of the week, that I would need to cook them or they would go bad before I could get to them again. So, unsure of what I'd do with them later I decided to put them in the fridge in a zippered bag. As I put them in the bag, I "smahed" them one at a time with my hand (through the bag) to break them open, hoping that with the skin broken they would heat fast when I reheated them.

So last night, I pulled them out to reheat with some previously-cooked turkey meatballs. Quick and easy. I preheated the oven to 350 degrees and poured the "smashed" potatoes into a glass baking dish. As I was searching the fridge for butter, I also saw and grabbed some bacon bits, cheese and a little bit of garlic. I sprinkled the butter, galric and bacon bits over the potatoes, along with salt and pepper. 

I placed the uncovered dish in the oven for about 10 minutes, then pulled it out, mixed it and sprinkled cheese over the top. Then I baked for about another 5 minutes.

OMG! It was so good! Hubby loved it. That of course, is the greatest test. I'm sure we'll try this again in the future, maybe with some adjustments and try new things, like maybe sauted onions. Mmm, that sounds yummy.


Until our next cup of tea ...
 
 
 


No comments: