Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Happiness is Hexagons!!

This past weekend, I was able to spend a little time working on a project that I am using Quiltsmart Hexagon ZigZapps! to make it. While I won't be posting this project for a while, I have to say these Hexagon ZigZapps! are super easy and very fun!

They come in 3 sizes, 2-inch, 1.5-inch and 1-inch and i am overflowing with ideas as I sew these quick little hexes. I can assure you, I have looked at hexagon quilts for years and loved them. For years I have stressed about how hard triangles looked, so I didn't even want to think about these little six-sided bundles of potiental tears. 


The technique that Mattie at Quiltsmart has designed is simple, you place your printed interfacing on the right side of the fabric, sew around the sewing line, trim on the cutting line and then flip inside out (you cut a slit in center of interfacing - I do it before sewing so I don't cut my fabric.) It's literally as easy as turning my kid's socks right side out, and less smelly! Most of the Quiltsmart ZigZapps! use this technique or a version of it and I am addicted!  

I had a lot of fun and in no time, I had a pile of each of these sizes sitting there waiting to find their place in the project. (The pink is actually the above color, my phone flashed on the photos below.) I can honestly say, I will not do hexagons any other way! (Sits on hands to show my resolve and commitment!)



If you've wanted to try hexes but were too scared, or if you've given up after other techniques, take a deep breath and try these. You'll be happy you did!

Until our next cup of tea ...



No comments: