Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Operation Organization: Keeping Track, Keeping Motivated

On thing that I have learned in more than 10 years as a military wife, is that life is easier with organization and order. It has actually become something I am known for among my friends and colleagues. Lists, notes, journals and more. Does that mean that my house is an organized and well running machine - no, I'm only human, and in fact as I write this, a pile of dishes silently stares at me waiting to be loaded into dishwasher and my son's school uniform for picture day tomorrow is still sitting in front of the washing machine, but being organized does make it quicker when I do face the most dreaded of household tasks.

Lists, charts and timelines are something I thrive on most. Sure I've shown you stacks of carefully cataloged boxes and bins, but really the important part is the list that tells me what is in those containers and where I am on the projects.

Last year a fellow crafter asked me for the project worksheet that I'd made in 2007 or 2008 during one of my husband's deployments. I updated it last year to reflect The Teacup Collector's Cottage, now that I chronicle my creative adventures here.

Since we've spent some time talking about organization lately I thought I'd share with you my simple little project organizer.


Its no secret that I juggle what feels like 700 ongoing projects. At home, work, and with my son's school, I am a start-to-finish type person, so to be able to set something down and start something new is a bit of a vacation. There is no deadline really, unless I impose one like the Quiltsmart Round Robin.

Ultimately, when it comes to creative projects, I like the worksheet because some projects can make you feel like you are spinning your wheels and getting nowhere, but having notes to track progress can put things in perspective.

What do you do to keep motivated on long projects?

Until our next cup of tea ...


No comments: