Wednesday, January 14, 2015

History Has A Way of Repeating Itself ...

Have you even done a project and look at it later, thinking that you'd like to try it again? 

In 2009, I was working as a Family Representative for a military unit. When we hosted our annual Volunteer of the Year Ceremony, the commander wanted to give something unique to the so I decided to turn terra cotta pots into "baskets" for some of the items we had special ordered for the recipients. 

Earlier, I was looking through some of my old posts from my previous blog, looking for ideas for Valentine's presents for Lil Monkey's teachers and found this post. Here is what I did ...

Step 1: Chose the pieces you want. I used medium-sized terra cotta planters with saucers.


Step 2: Sand them to remove any ridges or rough spots, then wipe with a damp cloth to clean.


Step 3: Let them dry completely. Be sure to flip over so the interior drys as well. I let them dry for more than 24-hours.


Step 4: Paint them. I used 3 coats for the base, letting each dry at least and hour or two before adding the next one. Depending on the paint you can get creative and drag a dry-brush over the top coat while wet to get striping. 

Creative Tip: After drying, do secondary color. Try sponging a complementing over the top.




Step 5: After the pieces are completely dried, add accessories. I glued ribbon of the complementing color to the rim and then added ribbons.



It was a very easy project, but does take time for the drying. I'd recommend you add a clear coat once the paint dries for a shiny look and to protext from scratches. I did the pink one later in 2009 ... for me and used it to ho;d utensils on my kitchen counter before Army movers broke it in a move. I used an ordinary stamp to add the designs.  

Until our next cup of tea ...


No comments: