Friday, October 4, 2013

Quick Trick for Some Show Some "Pumpkin Spice"!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen the toilet paper rolls covered in the orange tissue paper and decorated to look like a pumpkin, right? It's cute. I love to decorate for holidays ... who am I kidding, I love to make stuff, holiday-season or not. But as much as I loved these little pumpkins, they seemed to me to need a little more "umph" or something. So I dug around in my half-unpacked craft closet looking for inspiration (and pigma pen for another project) when it hit me - Why not use fabric?

Fabric would let me be as whimsical or elegant as I wanted. So off I went to dig in the scrap bin!

The first fabrics I found were a batiks, in an orange and green. I love batiks, they are so unique.

Well I gathered my supplies:

Fat 1/4 (1/4 yard of fabric) in orange
Scrap of green fabric (I had a piece about 4 in square)
Roll of toilet paper

Then comes the quick and easy part ...
  1. Wrap toilet paper roll in orange fabric, making sure to tuck the ends into the paper towel tube so that it sits flat.
  2. Roll green fabric like a tortilla (Ha!) and tuck into top of toilet paper roll, leaving 1-1.5 inches sticking out.
  3. Optional: Stick a twig in the top of it like a pumpkin stem!




When my little guy got home, of course he wanted one for his table in the playroom. So I dug up some Halloween fabric and made one for him too! I guess you could even use scraps to fuse a jack-o-lantern face on the pumpkin, though we are at the precarious age where my toddler understands "scary", but not so much that it is pretend.

Now I want to go find my box of beads and decorate the pumpkin a little more ...


Well, I hope you have fun getting creative with this quick little project. I think the part I like the most is that it is going to be easy store when the holidays are over. That's the one thing that gets me is that after a few projects, I need to go out and buy more storage containers (and hubby is not too happy about lugging all those boxes in and out of the attic!)


Until our next cup of tea ...

 

No comments: